How To Legally Kick Your Grown Child Out Of The House?

Legally Kick Your Grown Child Out Of The House?

How To Legally Kick Your Grown Child Out Of The House?

Many parents allow their adult children to stay in their homes during difficult times. Sometimes these adult children take advantage of that situation, and the parents want to remove them from their home. So parents have a common question: How do I remove an adult child from my house? 

Moving Out Your Adult Child From Your Home

The only approach to start the eviction process on your child is to provide them a 30 days notice to vacate. It may be 60 days’ notice if the child lives in your home for more than one year. Then you have to wait for 30 or 60 days after giving information so that it allows your child to leave your house. Suppose they will not leave home or refuse to leave within the given time. In that case, you should go to court and begin an eviction “unlawful detainer” and wait for the court’s order to remove him from your home forcefully. 

What Is The Legal Process To Get An Adult Child Out Of Your Home?

Many parents allow their children to live in the place during the hard times. However, some children take advantage of that situation, and parents want to get them out of the home. As there is no lease agreement and no other verbal or written agreement, you may face some difficulty. So here is the question: how do I kick my adult child out of my home? You can start your legal process by the following procedure:

  • In the circuit court, you have to file an Ejectment action.
  • You have to file an eviction if there are any oral or verbal leases with some specific conditions.
  • The fastest method to go is to file an Unlawful Detainer action.

There are some reasons why these factors are essential. For example, suppose your child refuses to leave or refuses to fight the legal action. In that case, they may claim that they paid the rent in previous years, and they can file the motion to dismiss the case. It may cause the matter for hearing before a judge. Then you may drag this process. Meanwhile, the adult child you want to get rid of is still in your home, so it can be a disaster. You should hire a skilled and experienced lawyer to prevent that situation at the start of the case.  

What Happens If Your Child Has A Lease?

If your child is a tenant, they have rights under the law. If you and your child have a lease agreement with each other, you have to follow the standards of that state in which you live to evict your adult child. You will have to do a withdrawal action referred to as an eviction proceeding with the local court. The lease conditions should dictate your rights having the right to evict the tenant. If your child breaks the terms and conditions of the lease, then you have to file the eviction action. Examples that give you the right to evict your adult child from your home include:

  • If the rent is paid consistently late.
  • Do not able to pay rent.
  • Damage the property.
  • If they are violating the policies against pets. 
  • If they smoke in a smoke-free home.
  • Running a business from home.
  • Based on a long-term guest.

But you have to follow the legal standards for eviction, even if you decide to evict an adult child. So you have to give the written notice to kick them off your home before filing an eviction lawsuit. Suppose your adult child doesn’t break any regulations of the lease agreement. In that case, you might still be able to evict them under the lease conditions.

What Happens Without A Written Lease Agreement?

It can be much easier to evict an adult child if you don’t have a lease agreement. Most importantly, if your adult child is not paying the rent regularly and does not participate in the household. Your adult child will be considered a guest, and you can ask your guest to leave your home whenever you want. However, if your adult child will not go, you can make them arrested. However, it is necessary to consult a lawyer before taking any strict measures. A court will refer to your child as a tenant even when there is no written lease agreement. 

In this case, you have to follow the process for eviction for someone who has a lease agreement. You have to give the notice and wait until the statement expires. However, kicking your adult child from your home may be challenging. So before you’re going to start the eviction process, always consult a lawyer. First, you have to understand your legal rights; then, you can proceed further.

How Will Law Help You?

The law will assist you if your child is a tenant, they threaten you, or maybe they are trespassing your property. 

Child Is Tenant

The law may declare your child as a tenant if you agree to let them live in your home. You have to consult a lawyer to know whether your child is a tenant. 

Your Child Threatens You

It would be best if you did not tolerate the violating behavior from your child. If they threaten you, you have to call the police, and then your child may be charged with a criminal offense. 

When Your Child Trespassing Your Home

Trespass is a term used for someone who comes into your home without any agreement or refuses to leave your home unless they have legal rights. 


Adult children may move to their parents’ homes when they are in difficult times. You may give your child a temporary shelter. But when you ask them to leave the house, they are rejected, so you have to take legal action to kick them off your home.